Sunday 7 March 2010

Wataru Itou’s Sculptures






Umi no Ue no Oshiro (A Castle On the Ocean )

I love these large scaled sculptures of what seems to be a kingdom made out of paper, they look really enchanting and they are so intricately made. I believe that they are/have been exhibited in Japan (I NEED to visit this!!!).

The warm lighting inside the models in contrast to the cold blue lighting around makes the castle/kingdom seem inviting and enticing. I admire Wataru Itou's patience, (which he must have an awful lot of because some of these models had taken him the best part of 4 years to build!!!) and I love the main focus/theme to all of these sculptures, the fact that they seem to be part of a fairy tale and are just pure brilliant!!

I believe that not only do the sculptures entertain real lighting inside but there is also apparently a paper train which runs through one of them!!!

I would also like to experiment with scale at some point, I'd like to make some huge models like these (almost life size) but then again I'd also find it really exciting to work at a very, very small scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment