Monday 1 March 2010

Editorial Brief- "How it Feels"




For this editorial brief, we had a timeframe of one week. I wasn't completely happy about the way I had been working for the previous editorial brief so I decided to look back at previous projects as I wanted to experiment with some other styles I had previously looked at.

I focused on my 'Sinbad' book illustrations from first year and realised I'd like to produce work in a similar way, which meant I'd be using material such as jewelery, flowers, leaves, feathers and sequins. In these 3 images I used a crystal necklace to produce the water effect and the snow for the avalanche and I used some stick on gems for the bottom image on frostbite.

The three 'how it feels...' stories that I chose were:

1. The avalanche, where a person gets buried beneath layers and layers of snow and they have no idea which way is up (to get to the surface) and which way is down (further under the snow).

2. Two adrenaline junkies throw themselves off Niagara Falls in a yellow barrel, the scariest bit for them was when the water started to fill up the barrel.

3. A man gets frostbite in his hand and everything he touches is pure agony.

Overall I was really pleased with the images that I had produced, I thought this was a turning point for me. I really liked these images because they seem to have a magical quality to them. I was especially pleased with the Niagara Falls story as it has a lot of movement and I was pleasantly surprised with the results I got from experimenting with a crystal necklace and how I achieved the quality of the water looking like it was pouring down fast and foaming up as it hits the surface of the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment