Wednesday 25 November 2009

Jeremy Holmes-This is the Best Thing I Have Ever Seen!!










I came across this illustrator during the visit to the Society of Illustrators exhibition in New York. I thought the book "There was an old lady who swallowed a fly" was pure genius. I really like the the style in which the book has been illustrated, it has a dark, sinister tone to it, which reminds me a bit of Tim Burton's style of illustrations.

The different materials and textures that have been created (either by printing or some other process) are really effective and give the book a tactile quality and adds to the morbid feel the book seems to hold. This is especially apparent in the way the eyes close when you turn the last page, symbolizing the old lady dying at the end of the story - It's brilliant!!! As soon as I saw this book I knew I had to buy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment